After a successful start to the 2021 cohort, MedTech Actuator and the Menzies Foundation are excited to announce the second cohort of MedTech Actuator Menzies Fellowships in 2022.
Applications are now open for 2022 MedTech Actuator Menzies Fellowships. Two high-potential medical or scientific researchers will each receive a tailored MedTech Actuator experience, mentorship from industry experts, networking opportunities and access to exclusive industry events, as well as a $20,000 stipend.
The MedTech Actuator Menzies Fellowship is designed to expose senior researchers to entrepreneurship, commercialisation and the startup ecosystem in order to unlock the potential of Australia’s world-class research.
“We know that there is great work being done by researchers in Australia – particularly in the areas of human health and medicine. We want to support this talent by giving researchers access to commercialisation expertise so that they can share their work with the people who need it most – patients and clinicians,” says MedTech Actuator CEO, Dr Buzz Palmer.
The MedTech Actuator Menzies Fellowship is a partnership between the Menzies Foundation and MedTech Actuator, which will support the scientific community’s commercialisation capacity by facilitating knowledge transfer from industry to researchers.
“The MedTech Actuator Menzies Fellowship will provide high-potential scientists with a strong grounding in the elements of commercialisation, but most importantly it will provide access to founders and our extensive ecosystem of partners – a network that spans hospitals, product development firms, multinational MedTech corporations and investors,” says Dr Palmer.
“We are passionate about investing in our country’s future science leaders and giving them the runway to ensure that their research has an impact in the world. We look forward to sharing their entrepreneurial journey,” Menzies Foundation CEO Liz Gillies said.
The year-long program is divided into two parts:
- Initially, Fellows will embark on 6 months of mentorship – working with experts within the MedTech Actuator focusing on both technology and personal development.
- During the second 6-month phase, Fellows will take part in a tailored version of our flagship, industry-led accelerator. They’ll learn how to navigate key inflection moments in the commercialisation journey, from developing regulatory and reimbursement strategies to product development, approaching investors and building a team. Importantly, they’ll learn with – and from – other MedTech, HealthTech and BioTech founders from across Asia Pacific.
The MedTech Actuator Menzies Fellowship can be undertaken while working. To be eligible for the Fellowship, researchers must be working in the areas of health, medical or biotechnology research at an Australian university or research institution. Successful applicants must also have approval from the employing institution to be absent for approximately 10 hours during the first 6 months and 2-3 days per month from July to December in 2022.
- September 6, 2021 – October 15 – MedTech Actuator Menzies Fellowship Applications Open
- November 11, 2021 – MedTech Actuator Menzies Fellowship Selection Interviews
- July – December 2022 – MedTech Actuator Accelerator sessions on commercialisation (first week of every month)
- December, 2022 – Wrap up of the Fellowship
If you are an impact-driven researcher or scientist, find out more about the Fellowship and apply today to transform your research potential!