In Australia, it is challenging for entrepreneurial scientists to establish enterprises
to commercialise science-based innovation.
Like our namesake, we're committed to
supporting leadership initiatives that grapple with issues that are germane to
Australia’s future. Hence our commitment to raising the profile and importance of
support for Australian entrepreneurial science and technology start-ups..
Menzies Science Entrepreneur Program
In partnership with the Medtech Actuator, the Foundation is incubating a ‘talent investor’ approach which supports high potential science entrepreneurs to transition from institutional contexts and navigate the ‘funding and resource cliff’ between research and the development of investable enterprises.
The key objectives of the program are to:
- Anchor a collaborative partnership to build a great understanding of what helps and hinders Australian science start-ups and share these insights to contribute to knowledge regarding the opportunities, barriers and impediments in Australian science entrepreneurship.
- Support outstanding science entrepreneurs in the early stages of commercialisation to take their science to scale
- Improve Australia’s innovation performance by helping aspiring scientists to build their entrepreneurial competencies and more effectively collaborate with industry and the broader innovation system
The Menzies Science Entrepreneur Program will be comprised of:
MedTech Actuator Menzies Fellowships - Meet the 2020 Medtech Actuator Menzies Fellows!
MedTech Actuator Menzies Scholarships - Meet the 2021 Medtech Actuator Menzies Scholars!
- Offered to 2 prestigious scientists
- Each Fellowship valued at $70,000 including a $20,000 stipend
- 12-month Fellowship program (approx. 2-3 days/month) delivered through the industry-led accelerator, leadershIp programs and mentoring program
- Announced at the MTAC gala dinner or another appropriate event
- Offered to 10 junior scientists
- Each Scholarship valued at $10,000 (including a $1,000 stipend)
- 3-month Scholarship (approx. 1-2 days/month) including an intensive one-week program focused on the commercialisation of research, including intellectual property, pitching, start-up 101, finance for beginners, business modelling, design thinking, path-to-market, and market analysis.
2020 Medtech Actuator Menzies Fellows
| 2021 Medtech Actuator Menzies Scholars